Who runs the world? Boys?

I love glee, and couldn't wait for the new season and we are 3 episodes in. However, tonight I saw something that bothered me...

Brittany is running for senior class president and her campaign strategy is that a girl has never been elected. Now is where you expect a 'sisters are doing it for themselves' anthem... Instead Birttany starts singing Beyonces 'Who runs the world, girls!' (great tune) but wearing this?


A song about female empowerment and respect, wearing black patent leather suspenders? What message is this giving to the young girls watching? Or even worse the young men? Is this what we want boys to think women should be wearing? Or that girls need to wear sexy lingerie to feel strong, powerful and to get the respect of men?

It's a stark contrast to this image of actress Emma Watson I pinned to one of my pinterest boards just an hour before watching Glee


I know what one I'm going to teach my kids. What about you?