A gluten free ANZAC day


This past week we celebrated ANZAC Day. This is a day to commemorate and remember all those who have fought for our freedom and remember the families they left behind. You can read a bit about ANZAC Day here

ANZAC biscuits (recipe) are a tradition I love about this special day. They were made by the mothers, wives and girlfriends of soldiers and sent overseas as the biscuits have a very long shelf life. I like them because they signify the contribution that these amazing women made to the war effort - I can't imagine the fear of having my husband away fighting a war. My heart goes out to all the women and men who do this today.

Just so you know, I love ANZAC biscuits. This is where being gluten free gets sucky (again). Oats generally aren't gluten free. I've seen GF oats in heaps of recipes from the US but I haven't been able to find any here. So this year, I attempted to make two different gluten free versions from the chef, Teresa Cutter.

One version was made with quinoa flakes (recipe), the other almond meal (recipe).


























First of all, the quinoa version tastes very healthy - more like a muesli/granola bar. The almond version are the most 'ANZAC' like and the sweeter version.



Let's just say I wasn't exactly impressed... they were ok. But i'm on the hunt for some gluten free oats to make some REAL ones!

+ Don't forget to check out my guest post and giveaway at Lena B Actually blog! Enter, now!