Can you speak Australian, ok?

When I first met the husband I thought it was endearing and charming that he would use different words for things that seem so everyday to me.

For example, he would say Diaper. In Australia, we call that a Nappy. He says Fall. In Australia, we say Autumn.
After we'd been married for a few months I started to think about it.

#1 My husband isn't American.
#2 He has never lived in the US.
#3 He is from New Zealand!
#4 He has been living in Australia since he was 15.

So why does he use 'American' words? It really boggles my mind and I find myself corecting him... and end up saying something stupid like "We live in Australia... speak Australian ok?" ... speak Australian?... who is the silly one now?... ahh that would be me!

Do you know anyone that does this too? (and by this I mean say words common in another country not say that people who live in Australia speak Australian instead of English!) I just think it's bizarre and don't know where he picked it up. I've talked to my husband about it and my theories are:

- He lived with a lovely American family for about a year or so, so maybe picked up a few of their words?
- He served a mission for our church so spent 2 years around and living with American guys...

I'm not sure in either of these circumstances how often would they talk about changing a babies diaper nappy though?

Do you have any theories? Are there any words you want to me translate into Australian? ;)

.........

Pictures from diaperchronicles.wordpress.com & autumnfallseason.com