Lincoln, in the eyes of an Aussie



We went and saw Lincoln last night. First of all, I love the movies and we haven't been since the day after Christmas (when we saw The Hobbit & Les Mis in the one day - over 7 hours in the cinema!) so I was excited.


I was also excited because I am interested in American history. I feel bad saying it but I don't love Australia's history. I know there aren't great things in America's history either but I find America's battle for independence and freedom so inspiring. I definitely don't feel inspired by any (current or passed) Australian politicians. Abraham Lincoln however, is amazing. 


First, I think Daniel Day-Lewis was incredible. I felt like I was watching Lincoln for 2.5 hours, not Daniel Day-Lewis playing Lincoln. Sally Field & Tommy Lee Jones were equally as amazing. The torment portrayed of a mother who had lost her child broke my heart and had me crying into my snacks. 


The passion (& ignorance) in the fight for equality was incredible to see unfold. I felt grateful for those who worked so hard to end slavery in the USA. It doesn't directly relate to me but I have no doubt the ripple effects of decisions like that have had on the world I live in today. I felt glad for those who lost their lives in that fight to think that so much has changed since those times because of their sacrifices.


I left the movie thinking about the difference one person can make in the world. One person, who might think they aren't that important, can change the lives of tens, thousands or even millions of people. 


There was one scene where Lincoln and his wife were having a disagreement, mostly about her depression over the loss of one of their sons. The pain consumed her. He turned to her and said "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be". Now I understand there can be terrible pain that it can feel impossible to overcome. I've felt some of that pain. But at some point, we can make a choice over how long that pain will hang over us or if we'll let it consume us. I wanted to remember that, so at hard times I can use it to pick myself up and think of all the reasons I have to be happy.


So remember that none of us are insignificant. 

The opportunity we all have for change is immeasurable.


























P.S. Unless the segment changes, i'm going to be on Huffington Post Live tomorrow! It's a segment on bad valentines days and is on at 9am (Sydney) / 5pm (New York). You can watch it here and tweet me (@jessrfrost) or comment if you do!