I have the man flu


I think I have the man flu. 

You know what i'm talking about. The time when that guy in your life, be it husband, partner, Dad, brother (etc) gets a cold and the world is now going to end. They can't work, can't feed themselves or really, just function at all.

Whereas when women get sick, we still manage to dress and feed ourselves (and everyone else) and do everything we do most days (like working). Hence the term, man flu because it's the same virus/cold but obviously the symptoms are very different depending on who catches it.

Well several days ago I came down with something. I was tired, had a headache, sore throat, sniffly nose. Really it was barely a cold. Yet I was miserable. I was whingey. I couldn't make dinner. I stayed in my PJ's all day. Then it hit me: I had the man flu.

But how is that possible? I mean I'm a women. I've gone to work sick - every single time i've ever had a cold/flu because hey, i have things to get done. But there was one difference, I wanted to eat all the chocolate ever created and possibly cause grievous bodily harm to anybody slightly annoying that came across my path. 



A cold + PMS: Man Flu

I've experienced that combination before. But now I understood. My world was brought to a standstill. All basic function has ceased and I just needed to hibernate until I hopefully recovered. Suddenly I had an appreciation for the men we love because I really felt horrible. 

And honestly, I have a bad history of being a bit unsympathic to the man flu. I mean, I am sympathetic... for the first couple of days. Then I start to get a bit over and think, if I was that sick I would be just getting on with it. Know what I mean? Well over a year ago my husband called me from work and said he was sick and couldn't walk without being dizzy and falling over. But he sounded fine so I said "have some sugar and just have a little rest. I'm sure you'll feel better soon". 

About 15 minutes later I got a call to pick him up from work because he couldn't stand up and walk without collapsing. Then when I saw him he didn't seem too bad so I thought 'man-flu'. I took him to the Dr and they made a right fuss and sent us off to the hospital. It was at this point I asked him "are you sure you're really sick because if we go to the hospital we'll be there for hours". I know, I'm a lovely wife. Turns out he had a problem with his ear called labyrinthitis, he was sent home with the anti-nausea meds. Then he got worse - for days! - and could do anything but lie in bed completely still with his eyes closed....and I was crying over not being able to make him better. It was SO not the man-flu - (yes I still feel guilty). 

I'm just glad that Tom is a great nurse. He fed me, supplied me with tissues and patted my forehead when I was sulking. Next time someone I love has the man flu i'll fight my inner thoughts to say "take a panadol and go to work" and be a little more sympathetic.