sidewalk shopping

who doesn't love shopping when it's practically free?!

Once every 3 months the local council has a 'clean up' weekend and you can dump things that don't fit in your regular trash on the side of the street and they get magically taken away. I'm talking mattresses / couches / tvs / garden waste / etc etc.

You know the old saying - One mans trash is another's treasure. well sometimes that's not true. People throw out stuff that leaves me confused why people have taken off the street to keep. One time we threw away an old couch and each time we went outside something new had happened to it. Cushions missing. Cup holders carved into it. People are just weird.

On the odd occasion though, you find something and it's like winning the lottery. Cue this find for me this last clean up weekend - a lovely big mirror.

It was perfect, not old or cracked or anything. Just ugly old varnished wood. You can just smell a DIY project coming on can't you?

I hit the local hardware store and got myself some grey paint and got to work...


Notice the carpet on the floor? well it was cold that day and I didn't want to wait until the next weekend to start on it...{patience is my strong point if you couldn't tell} so I did it on the living room floor with plastic sheeting on the ground. I know, genius!

I sanding it back (slightly...sanding is tiring) and got to painting...


I'm pretty happy how it turned out. what do you think?