Scaredy cats anonymous.

I'm not even going to lie. I'm scared of the dark. I'm scared of scary movies. 
I'm the biggest scaredy cat out there.

In high school, when I was about 17 and had had my drivers licence for a little while I started a class which went late one day a week. It finished about 5pm. It was fine, at the start of the year, then the days started to become shorter. As winter approached so did the prospect of me finishing the class after dark. Every week I was racing the sun home. The long winding 25km drive home from the nearby town where my high school stood on the hill, to our little home by the river. No street lights, no cell phone service. Each week the sun got closer to setting before I got home and I was terrified. Drive that whole trip home in the dark, on my own?!

I could just see it happening. Getting into my car after school, in the dark, and there is the serial killer...just waiting for me in the back seat. Or little old me, driving along the lonely country road and the car starts to splutter and slow down. The car stops and i'm there stranded, in the pitch dark, no phone. Then the serial killer shows up jumps out of the boot. I think most of the scenarios had a serial killer in them? Not sure why as I didn't watch any movies with serial killers because I can't watch scary movies without having nightmares for weeks.

Somehow, I can't remember how, but I got over it. Not over being scared, but managing the fear. Each time I got into the car, I checked the whole car and then locked myself inside and drove like a bat-out-of-hell all the way. At first it was with the interior light on so the darkness of the back wasn't staring at me in the rear view. Each time I got home I was so proud of myself. To this day, especially with the husband working in the evenings, I check each room when I get into our house so I know i'm safe.

What are your little habits? Are you a scaredy cat like me?