The Orange in the Lunch Box Principle


Growing up our family was never very well off. There were times when my dad was unwell and my mum solely supported us and then at times Dad did. Looking back I don't feel like I missed out on anything that was important and what we lacked financially was made up with love and support. I'm telling you this info you see, to give you the background that my lunch box at school may have been very different or very similar to yours...

photo from here
I remember seeing my friends, they had roll ups, packets of chips, poppers (juice boxes), fruit like peaches / mandarins / grapes, le snacks (biscuits with soft dipping cheese). This was a coveted lunch box in that school yard. However, those who had it were so cavalier. They didn't seem to realise how lucky they were. My lunchbox: A vegemite sandwich, an orange.  Occasionally we got a non-branded packet of chips or muesli bars. Those days were awesome!

One day, I was fed up. I saw my friends eating their fancy lunches and I looked down at the orange in my hand. It was peeled and wrapped in plastic wrap. I didn't want it. I didn't want another orange. It wasn't that I had a thing against oranges, I just didn't feel like it but I didn't want my mum to know. So I walked to the nearest rubbish bin and tossed it in.
photo from here
Then the guilt started. My mum never wasted food, if there was left overs she would freeze them to use later, sometimes even when they weren't 'technically' freeze-able. 

and then I started to cry...

I wasted the food. My mum worked hard to make things special for us and pack us lunches, making sure we never went hungry and I just went and chucked perfectly good food in the rubbish bin. Mum would have eaten the orange, someone else at home could have eaten it and I just threw it away. I cried thinking of my mum working hard to buy that orange. I cried thinking of the time it took her to cut it and wrap it up for me to take to school. How could I be so insensitive (I was a 'deep' 8 year old right?) I felt guilty and like I'd let my mum down. I didn't ever want to hurt her feelings or do anything to disappoint her.

This my friends, is the Orange in the Lunch Box Principle.

This moment has always stayed with me, especially since finishing high school and moving out of home. I'm so grateful for all my parents have done for me in my life, most especially loving me unconditionally.


Well guess what went and happened this Christmas? My (gorgeous) mum asked what I wanted and I said I had no platters for serving food when we had guests for dinner. Now, you need to know I hate seafood/fish/anything sea related. I have issues with fishy tasting things - gag alert! So I was there, unwrapping my gift from my mum and what was before me? A fish platter...


A fish? I laughed out loud and then looked at my mums face. she was so excited...and then the orange in the lunchbox principle kicked in. I felt so bad that I laughed at the plate (and for thinking it was ugly on the inside). She saw the platter on sale and even though I don't like fish thought it would be great for entertaining and that I would like it as I love dinner parties. Her face on christmas morning excitedly watching me open it was burnt in my mind. So for weeks I suffered the guilt of the orange in the lunchbox but this time it was for the fish platter... I did my best to let on I didn't like it but made sure mum knew how grateful I was for her and for all she does for me.


and when we had friends for dinner the other day... out came the fish platter...to hold the bread. (and the Hubs made several 'loaves and the fishes' dad jokes!)


I'm going to use it until I love it... and then pass it down to my kids (muhahahaha!)