How Do I Love Thee?


As the year draws to a close and a new one begins we think about what we have accomplished in the past year and what we want to do better in the year ahead. I'm sure there will be thousands of blog posts in the coming week about new years resolutions- all pretty much saying the same thing (and hey, let's face it i'll probably write one too).

Earlier this week I was talking with a friend about love and trust in relationships (in families, friendships, marriages) and it reminded me of this short video I saw with excerpts from one of Elder Jeffery R. Hollands conference talks. (Please don't tune out, this isn't a churchy post). 

We have all been through many life experiences before we meet that one special person and marry them. They impact our lives and shape us into the person we  become. I for one have said to the Hubs that although going through many hard things, I'd do them all again if it meant I ended up in the same place - with him (cue <loving aaawwwwees>). Though, unfortunately we end up with some scars as well. The thing that this little video taught me is that we can't let these scars impact our lives negatively. If we've been hurt before, we can't punish those we love now for that same hurt. If we've been betrayed before, we can't punish those we love now for that same betrayal.

Elder Holland talks about Christlike love (the way Jesus loves us - unconditionally and perfectly) and how that is how we should love those, especially our spouses. Unconditionally & perfectly.


"How do I love thee. Not when do I love thee, now where do I love, nor why do I love thee, nor why don't you love me? Rather, how

How do I demonstrate, how do I reveal true love for you?


There are many qualities you'll want to look for in a friend, or a serious date, to say nothing of a spouse or an eternal companion. 
Think the best of each other, especially of those you say you love. 
Assume the good and doubt the bad. 


The prophets tell us that 'True love beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things'. So Christ loved us, so that is how He hopes we would love each other...
He said 'a new commandment I give unto thee, that ye love one another as I have loved you'.

How should I love thee? As He does
For that way never faileth"


This new year, maybe we can all try a little harder to assume the good and doubt the bad and show those in our lives how we love them.