Nothing but me & the music




At my dad's funeral, I didn't know what to say. I didn't know how to get up and talk about him and how much i'd miss him. So I wrote him a letter (this one) and read it out.

Today it's been two years since he passed away. Two years since I was able to call and talk to him. To hear his voice, his laugh. To get his advice.

There are so many things I miss about him and the reminders I have of him are all around. Most of the time it's music. He loved music. It was in his soul.

I remember so many times over the years, my mum, my sisters and I would come home from being out in the evening. Probably some school thing, or mum picking us up from work. We knew dad was home but the house was all dark. How could we tell he was home? It was the music blasting down the road. We lived on acreage and so had a long driveaway with neighbours not close by and even at a distance from the house we could hear the music.

And there my daddy would be. Lying on the couch in the living room, eyes closed. Just singing to the music. I didn't like turning on the light because I knew how much he loved just feeling the music.
Now I do that sometimes too. When I really need to get out of my head, I lie down on our bed and put on music and just soak it all up.  I'm grateful he taught me the power music can have in our lives. But most of all i'm grateful that for 25 years I had the best dad I could have ever asked for. He loved me. He taught me how to love deep and hard and if you get hurt, it's worth it. If it wasn't for that I don't think I would have opened my heart again when Tom came into my life. And having Tom as my husband blesses my life every day. 
I hope i'm making him proud.
The last photo we have together, about 3 weeks before he passed away.
Because this week i'm thinking of my dad so much, all the songs I'm listening to remind me of him. Hotel California is definitely one of those. It's my song of the week. What's yours? Is there a special song that reminds of someone? Or an special memory? Or there is just a song stuck in your head? Well comment below because i'd love to know!   And remember to tell your loved ones how much they mean to you.